Sunday, November 22, 2009

Gear Review: HEED Sports Drink

It's nearly impossible to review food.  As a (very) amateur cook I am painfully aware that everyone has different tastes and preferences.  Just the same, I'm going to give it a shot.











Here is what I like about Hammer Nutrition's HEED:

  • It tastes really good!
  • None of the citrus flavors have citric acid in them.  Thats a really good thing, because gels/drinks with citric acid in them tend to burn/bug me when I'm eating/drinking on the run.
  • Complex Carbs - There aren't any simple sugars in HEED, unlike many other sports drinks that contain glucose, sucrose, etc.  The theory is that this allows the product to deliver a less spikey stream of calories.  My personal opinion is that this theory makes a good deal of sense, but I don't have any sources to back this up...and..uh..it...did I mention it tastes really good?
  • It's 105 calories a scoop so that helps with easy math for portioning.
Here is what I don't like so much:

  • It can have a bit of a metalic after taste, which is the electrolytes I'm assuming.
  • There is a lot of gimmicky stuff on Hammer's website that I think takes away from the credibility of their product. 
  • It's sweetened with Xylitol and Stevia, which is probably fine makes me feel like one of those "sucralose is the devil but Stevia is cool cause it's like...from a plant, man." 

That being said, I've tried a bunch of sports drinks and thus far HEED is my favorite.

It's also worth mentioning that Hammer has another sports drink called PERPETUEM that is designed for endurance events that last longer than two hours.  I haven't tried it, but I am planning on giving it a shot as I continue working towards the 70.3 format.  The main differences are the additions of protein and fat to the mix, along with additional calorie density for those 1000+ calorie multihour bottles that long course people like to alternate with water.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mike,

    Can I suggest you try elete, a sports drink concentrate specifically designed for optimum and hydration.

    I have to declare an interest as I am CEO of MRI (UK) Ltd which has the distribution rights for elete. However, I am absolutely convinced elete will sort out your hydration needs, aswell as any cramping you may get.

    I would love you to review it and be very happy to send you a bottle free of charge, just contact me at adrian@eletewater.co.uk with your details and will have some sent to you.

    Can I also suggest you visit our website www.eletewater.co.uk which has lots of information about elete, how it works and the science behind it etc.

    I also set out below a summary of the key information about elete:

    elete™, is an ionically charged sports drink concentrate, which I am genuinely confident is the most effective hydration product on the market today.

    The reason for its effectiveness is that it contains all four electrolytes which are necessary for proper hydration (magnesium, sodium, potassium and chloride) and that these are each in totally ionic form (again necessary for effective hydration)plus 70 other trace and ultra-trace minerals. No other sports/hydration products contain this mix of electrolytes.

    As well as hydrating remarkably efficeintly, elete™ stops cramping, enhances energy production by the body and maintains mental focus. Furthermore, a peer reviewed study indicated that when using elete™, 40% less water is needed to hydrate properly. (A copy of the full report is on our website).

    elete™ is derived from the inland sea water from the Great Salt Lake in Utah and contains the four electrolytes mentioned above plus over 70 other trace and ultra-trace elements. It is 100% natural, has zero calories, zero carbs, zero sugar or sweeteners, no additives of any sort - it is simply the electrolytes above plus the trace and ultra- trace elements and water.

    It comes in a concentrated form and is just added to water, juice, any drink or food (hot or cold). It can be added to other sports nutrition products such as carb drinks or gels or protien mixes.

    The price is also cheaper than any other product on the market - a 25ml at £6.49 pocket bottle makes up 20 x 500ml drinks , making a cost per drink of only 32.5p.elete can also be purchased in the US.

    All the best

    Adrian Shaw

    ReplyDelete